Sunspot Baby Logo

Sunspot Baby Logo

Monday, May 4, 2015

4/23/15: The good news is that we are in Waterside marina in Norfolk. The bad news is that I really embarrassed myself today.


All our boating friends have encountered boneheads whose radio mikes are stuck in the talk position, creating  noise for everyone else, and rendering the radio useless. Today, I was that bonehead, and worse than just being a nuance I became a hazard to navigation.

The N&S railroad bridge had been down and was opening was we rounded the bend into sight. A couple of other boats were waiting for the opening. As we neared the flashing green came on and I proceeded toward the bridge. The other two boats continued to loiter. As I drew nearer, but still completely clear, we saw the bow of a barge coming through. At this point, it should have been clear to me that there was a reason for a quiet radio and that surely, the barge (barges plural as it happens) would have announced on 13 and probably 16 that they were coming through.

Now, however, I was so busy staying clear that I wasn't messing with the radio. I moved far to the green side, giving the barge a clear path through the channel. He gave five blasts but since I was obviously clear, I assumed they were for the two boats loitering in the middle of the channel. Wrong, as it happens, he wanted to moor at the dolphins on the green side and I was clearly in the way, About now, the tug captain was standing at the rail shouting at me. We cleared the way promptly but I'm sure that somewhere tonight he is expounding to his buddies about the bonehead recreational boater who hadn't a clue. To his credit, I didn't hear any profanity. I'm not sure I would have been that restrained.

The second barge was proceeding down the channel so no problem.

Finally I figured out why the radio was so quiet and fixed the issue. I am self nominating myself for the FHYC Red Marker award for 2015. Mea Culpa! I have related this in a light hearted manner, but rest assured, I did not then nor do I now find this amusing in anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment